[Mailman-Users] Mailman clustering

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Mar 11 18:50:50 CET 2008

Luca Villani wrote:

>On mar, 2008-03-11 at 15:44 +0100, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>

>> This still requires some patching or other machinations. First, this
>> approach assumes that all the mutable Mailman directories are shared
>> (NFS or ??) across machines.
>
>Yes, NFS, exported by a Netapp filer.
>We was planning to export the entire
>
>	/usr/local/mailman
>
>but one of your hints prevent us to do this.
>What exactly are the mutable directories?

The mutable (changeable) directories are those in the VAR_PREFIX (set
by the configure --with-var-prefix= option) directory as opposed to
the PREFIX and EXEC_PREFIX directories. These directories are
archives/, lists/, logs/, locks/, data/ and spam/. The ones that must
be shared are archives/, lists/, locks/, and data/. The spam/
directory is only used when a message is 'preserved for the admin' in
the admindb interface. That and the logs/ are probably best shared.
Other directories can be shared or not except if the separate
instances have separate mm_cfg.py files, then the Mailman/ directory
needs to be unique per machine.

>As far as mm_cfg.py must be different on each server, it prevent to
>export the entire /usr/local/mailman.

Correct.

>Ok, thank tou very much for the hints.
>AFAIK with this configuration, we can start the webinterface on each
>server, right?

Correct again.