[Mailman-Users] Old messages in bounces and in

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Sat Mar 8 11:44:49 CET 2008

-- Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> is rumored to have mumbled on 7. März
2008 13:12:16 -0800 regarding Re: [Mailman-Users] Old messages in bounces
and in:

> Also, There was an oversight having to do with unparseable messages. I
> think this is the issue in your case. If you look in mailman's error
> log, I think you'll see for each one of these files, an entry like
> "Ignoring unparseable message:
> 1168304393.8014059+653abf0ec76b61ef5f5245e7f08d944c441bc306".

Correct.

> If so,
> what is happening is malformed MIME messages which are almost
> certainly spam are being sent to your list and list-bounces addresses.
> This causes the parse error to be logged and the message dropped, but
> we neglected to deal with the .bak file. In 2.1.10 we move it aside to
> a .psv file in the shunt queue.

OK. Those have to be dealt with manually, I guess?

> The bottom line, if I am correct, is these are spam and can be safely
> just deleted.

Thanks. Done.

> If you are not ready to upgrade to 2.1.10,

We roll our own RPM, based on Red Hat's, so it's a bit of a hassle. Plus,
I'd like to help testing, but on a production server with 1,100+ lists I
prefer to stick to the stable releases :-)

> you can patch 2.1.9. Find
> lines 107-109 in Mailman/Queue/Runner.py. They should be
>
>                 self._log(e)
>                 syslog('error', 'Ignoring unparseable message: %s',
> filebase)
>                 continue
>
> (the syslog line is wrapped here, but not in the module). Add a line to
> make it
>
>                 self._log(e)
>                 syslog('error', 'Ignoring unparseable message: %s',
> filebase)
>                 self._switchboard.finish(filebase)
>                 continue
>
> That won't preserve the entry in the shunt queue, but it will prevent
> .bak files from accumulating.

Thanks. I've made that change.
--
Sebastian Hagedorn - RZKR-R1 (Flachbau), Zi. 18, Robert-Koch-Str. 10
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK