[Mailman-Users] Danish characters - in "result of your commands" and in Mail archive

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Mar 7 17:53:23 CET 2008

Henrik Rasmussen wrote:

> I am using:
>
> * Mailman 2.1.5

You need to upgrade.

> * Python-2.3.4-14.4.el4_6.1 * Redhat-release-4AS-7 *
> postfix-2.2.10-1.1.el4
>

> I have a few cases of Danish characters not beind displayed
> correctly.
>
> 1) "Result of you commands" e-mail contains Quoted Printable 2) The
> E-mail archive is displayed in UTF-8
>

> 1)
>
> When users subscribe or unsubscribe to a list with a mail containing
> Danish characters æøåÆØÅ, they receive a mail with the result of
> their commands. This mail includes the 2 standard sections "Results"
> and "Not handled" (translated from Danish, so they might have other
> names). In the section of Not handled, the text is displayed in
> Quoted Printable "=20" or "=E6=F8=E5=C6=D8=C5".

This is a bug (1829061) in pre 2.1.10 Mailman. CommandRunner didn't
decode the quoted-printable message body before processing it.

This is fixed in Mailman 2.1.10, now in beta, or you can patch Mailman
2.1.5 Mailman/Queue/CommandRunner.py by changing line 94 from

         body = part.get_payload()

         body = part.get_payload(decode=True)

> 2)
>
> The list's mail archive in
> mailserver.domain.tld/mailman/private/mylist/ contains Thread, Title,
> Author and Dato in Danish (Marts 2008: [ Tr d ] [ Titel ] [ Forfatter
> ] [ Dato ]  [ Tekst 765 bytes ]). The webpage source contains the the
> word "Tråd" (instead of Tråd) and since the page is displayed
> in UTF-8, the word is displayed as "Tr d" with a square instead of
> the danish character.
>
> I have tried changing the å in
> /usr/lib/mailman/templates/da/archtocentry.html to Tråd (and
> restarting Mailman), but this doesn't change anything.

Doesn't change anything immediately, or after the TOC has been updated?.

> Changing the
> DEFAULT_CHARSET in mm_cfg.py doesn't make any chances either.
>
> When changing the character set for the displayed webpage in the
> browser, to "West european (Windows)", the character displayed
> correct.
>
> How can I change the archive to use ISO8859-1 instead of UTF-8?

The answer is in the paragraph above. The character set used for Danish
throughout Mailman is iso-8859-1. It is your web server that is
overriding this and sending a header with charset=UTF-8. You have to set
your web server to not override Mailman's charset or to translate
ISO-8859-1 into UTF-8

If your server is Apache, see the *Charset, and Charset* directives