[Mailman-Users] Regular expressions in list config files?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Mar 1 04:53:15 CET 2008

Mark Sapiro wrote:

>bernholdtde at ornl.gov wrote:
>>
>>Here's the result: In applying header_filter_rules, it looks like the
>>entire set of headers is being treated as a single multiline string.
>

>That is correct.
>

>>For reasons I don't entirely understand (remember I'm not a python
>>expert), "^" and "$" are not matching the beginning and end of
>>individual lines of a multiline string, even though I interpreted
>>http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/matching-searching.html to say
>>that they should, and a colleague who's very familiar with Python also
>>thought they should.
>

>It works for me.

I suspect you have an old Mailman version. Prior to Mailman 2.1.7, the
regular expression search was not multiline and therefore '^' and '$'
would only match the beginning and end respectively of the string of
all the headers.

I have updated FAQs 3.32 (again) and 3.51 to note the version
dependence.