[Mailman-Users] Apache,

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Jun 29 22:25:00 CEST 2008

Vidiot wrote:

>OK, did that.  Gets past that now.  But:
>
>[...]
>Compiling /usr/local/mailman/Mailman/versions.py ...
>sh: bin/update: not found
>*** Error code 1
>The following command caused the error:
>(cd /usr/local/mailman ; test -n "" || bin/update)
>make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `update'
>

>The update script exists in the mailman directory I am doing the make and
>in the /usr/local/mailman/bin directory.
>
>Just in case, because of all the issues, I cleaned out /usr/local/mailman
>and reran "make install."  No diff.  Stills dies at the same location.

I think that's my fault. I just fixed it for Mailman 2.1.11. (I broke
it for 2.1.11rc1.)

The problem is the bin/update in the tarball is 'pre-configured' with

#! /usr/bin/python

If that isn't where your python is, it doesn't work.

Fix the shebang line in bin/update in the installed tree and run it by
hand. It is the very last step in 'make install', so then you're done.

In fact, if this is a new installation with no existing lists, you're
already done.