[Mailman-Users] make install failure

Vidiot brown at mrvideo.vidiot.com
Sun Jun 29 09:12:48 CEST 2008

OK, the Solaris 10 box is operational, in that root is the only user and I'm
getting things up and running.  While my user account exists, none of my
personal stuff is there yet, as it is in a state of flux.  Once I bring the
system on line, then I copy over all the home directory files, etc.

In the meantime, I'm getting programs like mailman up and running.  I've
already replaced sendmail with exim, even getting it hooked into Solaris 10
smf control.

Based on the previous discussion, I've replaced the stock python 2.4.4 on the
box with a freshly compiled and installed 2.5.2 version.

The configure script runs without error, as does the initial make.  BTW,
the install manual has an error:

	Page 4:	% cd mailman-<version>
		% ./configure
		% make install

The "make install" should be just "make".  Gotta make it before you can
install it. :-)

In any event, the following error occurs when trying to install:

    (cd ./$p ; umask 02 ; PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/mailman/pythonlib /usr/local/bin/python setup.py --quiet install --install-lib /usr/local/mailman/pythonlib  --install-purelib /usr/local/mailman/pythonlib  --install-data /usr/local/mailman/pythonlib); \
done
/usr/local/lib/python2.5/distutils/dist.py:247: UserWarning: 'licence' distribution option is deprecated; use 'license'
  warnings.warn(msg)
src/hangul.c:33: error: syntax error before numeric constant
src/hangul.c:34: error: syntax error before numeric constant
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `install-packages'
Current working directory /usr/local/src/mailman-2.1.11rc2/misc
*** Error code 1
The following command caused the error:
for d in bin cron misc Mailman scripts src templates messages tests; \
do \
    (cd $d; make DESTDIR= install); \
done
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `doinstall'

MB
--
e-mail: vidiot at vidiot.com                                /~\ The ASCII
[I've been to Earth.  I know where it is.         ]      \ / Ribbon Campaign