[Mailman-Users] mailing list filtered as spam

jeff zemla jeffzemla at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 17:05:04 CEST 2008

Hi all,
I tried searching the archives for a solution to my problem but couldn't
find anything.  My apologies if this has been answered 100 times before.

I bought a new domain through hostgator.com and they have Mailman installed
so I can set up a mailing list.  I've used mailman before through my
University and never had a problem with requests being filtered as spam.

Basically, when I try to add an e-mail account to the mailing list, it goes
into my Gmail spam box.  I don't know why this would happen, as my domain
has never been used for anything before, so no one could have possibly
reported it as spam.  The header is as follows:

from: artists-request at domain.com
to: invited at address.com
date: Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 2:16 PM
subject: Welcome to the "Artists" mailing list
mailing list: <artists_domain.com.>
mailed-by: domain.com

Where domain.com is my domain, artists is the name of the list, and
invited at address.com is the person I add to the list.

I have tried altering the content of the message, but nothing seems to work,
which leads me to believe it is being flagged as spam based on where it
originates from.  But seeing as the website has no content on it (just a
line of text that says "Things will be here shortly") i dont know why gmail
would have a preconceived notion that it's a spamming site.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Jeff