[Mailman-Users] Recipients missing on list post

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jun 20 02:16:02 CEST 2008

Stefan Förster wrote:

>Now, 22+26+19+158 equals 225 and not 226 - no rejected mails, no
>NOQUEUE entries. Either Postfix or Mailman is lying. How can I find
>out which one it is, aside from running ngrep/tcpdump?

I'm not sure if this is better, but if your Python is 2.4 or later, see
<http://wiki.list.org/x/-IA9> for a patch that can be applied to
Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py to produce copious debugging output
from Python's smtplib to Mailman's error log

>Which additional configuration data do I have to provide to aid in
>remote debugging this?

Just for curiosity, try the following:

bin/list_members listname >file1
sort -f file1 >file2
sort -f -u file1 >file3
diff file2 file3

You could also patch Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py to add

    syslog.write('smtp', 'recips this chunk = %d', len(recips))

at the end of the module as the last line of bulkdeliver which will
give you Mailman's count per chunk to compare with Postfix. You could
even add

    syslog.write('smtp', 'recipient list %s', recips)

to list the recipients of the chunk.