[Mailman-Users] Reply to list instead of poster (was:Muti-Mailmaninstall)

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jun 19 17:43:43 CEST 2008

Allan Odgaard wrote:

>Here is how I would change all of the above:
>
>      List replies go to: (o) Poster (recommended, more info)
>                          ( ) The list
>                               [x] Strip existing Reply-To header
>                          ( ) Other: [                           ]
>
>The grouping should make it clear how the settings relate to each
>other, so no need for long explanations about the explicit Reply-To
>address etc.
>
>Less text means better chance the user will read/grasp it. I only
>added one "more info" link and put it right next to the ‘recommended’
>text, so it should be clear from context that it will elaborate on why
>this is the recommended setting.

I really don't want to get into a discussion of the web UI here. I am
not directly involved in the changes that are going on, and I think
the wiki <http://wiki.list.org/x/RoBE> and the mailman-developers list
are more appropriate for this discussion.

However, I certainly agree that your suggested improvement above is
more readable and user friendly except that it doesn't correctly
capture the interrelated settings.

The first_strip_reply_to setting is independent and while it doesn't
make sense for 'poster', it certainly does for 'other'