[Mailman-Users] Fresh Install Fails To Start

Carlos Williams carloswill at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 18:45:34 CEST 2008

I just installed Mailman 2.1.9 on my new server and I cd
/usr/lib/mailman/bin and ran the ./newlist script:

[root at email bin]# ./newlist
Enter the name of the list: zoo
Enter the email of the person running the list: carloswill at example.com
Initial zoo password:
To finish creating your mailing list, you must edit your /etc/aliases (or
equivalent) file by adding the following lines, and possibly running the
`newaliases' program:

## zoo mailing list
zoo:              "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post zoo"
zoo-admin:        "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman admin zoo"
zoo-bounces:      "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman bounces zoo"
zoo-confirm:      "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman confirm zoo"
zoo-join:         "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman join zoo"
zoo-leave:        "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman leave zoo"
zoo-owner:        "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman owner zoo"
zoo-request:      "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request zoo"
zoo-subscribe:    "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe zoo"
zoo-unsubscribe:  "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe zoo"

Hit enter to notify zoo owner...

Now when I try and start Mailman, I get the following:

[root at email bin]# /etc/init.d/mailman start
Starting mailman: Site list is missing: mailman
                                                           [FAILED]
When I check /var/log/mailman/error, I get the same message for every
time I attempted to start
the service. Anyone know what I am doing wrong? I can say that
Postfix, Apache, or any other
service on this server is not running so I don't know if Mailman does
not like that...this was the
1st thing I decided to configure on the new email server.

Thanks for any info / help!