[Mailman-Users] How to enable VERP?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jun 17 18:47:04 CEST 2008

Brad Knowles wrote:

>On 6/17/08, Allan Odgaard wrote:
>
>>  When I look at the letters I receive from my list they do not have
>>  my subscription address in the `Return-Path` header, so I suspect
>>  VERP is disabled.
>
>Correct.
>
>>  I have placed the following in `/etc/mailman/mm_cfg:`
>>
>>     VERP_PERSONALIZED_DELIVERIES = Yes
>>     VERP_CONFIRMATIONS = Yes
>
>Here are all of the VERP* definitions from Defaults.py that you can
>consider changing:
>
>VERP_PROBES = No
>VERP_PASSWORD_REMINDERS = No
>VERP_PERSONALIZED_DELIVERIES = No
>VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL = 0
>VERP_CONFIRMATIONS = No
>
>And here are the settings for personalization:
>
>VERP_PERSONALIZED_DELIVERIES = No
>OWNERS_CAN_ENABLE_PERSONALIZATION = No
>

>If you change any of these, make sure to stop and restart Mailman for
>them to take effect.
>
>>  But I also see options about list personalization. Do I need to also
>>  enable that stuff?
>
>Yes.

Actually, Mailman doesn't do VERP by default because it requires
sending a separate message to the MTA for each recipient if Mailman
does it. Thus, the default is no VERP so Mailman can deliver posts to
multiple recipients in one SMTP transaction with multiple RCPT TO
commands. You can configure your MTA to do the VERPing, or you can
have Mailman do it.

If Mailman does it, there are the various settings Brad points out
above. If some lists are already personalized, you can set
VERP_PERSONALIZED_DELIVERIES to Yes to VERP deliveries to those lists.
This setting exists because it involves no extra overhead since
personalized deliveries are sent individually already.

If you want Mailman to VERP all deliveries, just set
VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL = 1 and don't worry about personalization.

All these settings are documented in Defaults.py.