[Mailman-Users] Encoding problems

Allan Odgaard 8qbfgka02 at sneakemail.com
Tue Jun 17 04:53:20 CEST 2008

Some of my subscribers have accents and similar in their name and I
had to do the following post install to have Mailman properly work
with these:

## CLI

In order to get `list_members -f «list»` to properly output non-ASCII
user names I had to put the following:

     import sys
     sys.setdefaultencoding('utf-8')

Into `/etc/python2.5/sitecustomize.py`. This is despite proper setup
of `LC_CTYPE` on the system. Seems to me Mailman should use the
encoding of the current locale, not this site-wide Python default
encoding (settable by root only).

## Web

For the web page forms to accept non-ASCII I had to put this:

     add_language('en', 'English', 'utf-8')

Into `/etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py`. I think utf-8 should be the default
because even on an English list, you can use non-ASCII punctuation,
glyphs, and many European subscribers will have non-ASCII in their
names.

## Mailing List

The mailing list letters are correct _except_ that the body now
contains this:

And yes, each letter sent to the list is converted into base64.

I tried disabling the above utf-8 changes, but it did not seem to fix
it. But it might be that the list language (containing utf-8) was
copied at list creation time, so I will effectively have to recreate
the list (or write Python code) to change this?

Using Mailman 2.1.9 (Ubuntu installation).