[Mailman-Users] Mailman and virtual mailhosting (postfix)

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jun 13 20:24:58 CEST 2008

Jens Meyer wrote:

>Our postfix-mailserver hosts several domains (virtual mailhosting,
>postfix/mysql) and "mailman".
>
>The "primary domain" myserver.de is a virtualized domain also. So this
>domain is not listed in mydestination:
>-->
>myhostname = mail.myserver.de
>mydomain   = myserver.de
>myorigin   = $mydomain
>
>mydestination = $myhostname, localhost
><--
>
>As far as I understand mailman forwards all emails to the "primary
>domain" (mydomain) and mailman is only working if I add $mydomain to
>mydestination.

This is the assumption of Mailman/Postfix integration.

>But when doing this there are warnings from postfix that it is not
>allowed to list the domain in the virtual aliases (mysql-database) and
>in relay_domains.
>
>Is there any possiblity to configure mailman to forward the emails in
>./data/virtual-mailman not to "testliste2 at myserver.de" but to
>"testliste2 at mail.myserver.de"?
>
>My actual config is:
>-->
>DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'mail.myserver.de'
>DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'lists.myserver.de'
>DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman/'
>
>MTA = 'Postfix'
>POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['lists.myserver.de']
>add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
><--

I don't understand your configuration. The above Mailman config items
say that lists.myserver.de is a postfix virtual domain and that
Mailman lists whose host_name is lists.myserver.de will get
virtual_mailman entries of the form

testliste2 at lists.myserver.de   testliste2

(i.e. map the virtual domain address 'testliste2 at lists.myserver.de' to
local name 'testliste2' where it will be handled by the 'testliste2:'
entry in aliases).  However, your setting of DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST =
'mail.myserver.de' says lists will be created with a host_name of
'mail.myserver.de', so no virtual_mailman entries will be created at
all.

Something is clearly wrong. From your description, I think if you change

POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['lists.myserver.de']

POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['mail.myserver.de']

And run Mailman's bin/genaliases, you will get what you want. I.e., you
will get virtual_mailman with entries like

testliste2 at mail.myserver.de   testliste2

which will map the virtual domain list address
'testliste2 at mail.myserver.de[' to the local name 'testliste2' which
will be delivered to Mailman according to the 'testliste2' alias in
Mailman's data/aliases.