[Mailman-Users] Mailman Permissions

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jun 13 19:39:44 CEST 2008

Carlos Williams wrote:

>I was looking today at /var/lib/mailman/lists and happened to notice
>the owner seems to vary. It appears that some older lists are owner by
>mailman:mailman and lists that I have recently created are owner by
>root:mailman.

<snip>

>Now I know all the lists I create are done in CLI mode using the
>"/usr/lib/mailman/bin/.newlist" script which walks me through the
>process easily.
>
>My question here is does it matter  that some are owned by mailman and
>others by root and if so, how do I generate new lists properly as
>mailman:mailman?

It doesn't matter what the owner is. Only the group is important and as
long as the group is the Mailman group ('mailman' in your case), the
owner can be anything.

If you create a list as root, the owner will be root. If you create a
list as mailman, either via logging in as mailman or via su or sudo as
mailman, then the owner will be mailman. If you create a list via the
web create script, the owner will be the web server user, but none of
this is significant. Only the group is important.