[Mailman-Users] Messages have stopped getting delivered to mailinglists

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jun 6 22:45:39 CEST 2008

Williams, Theona wrote:

>I ran strings /u001/mailman/mail/mailman. The output is attached. The
>wrapper is pointing to /u001/mailman/scripts/.

Yes, the strings output looks good.

>3 months ago, during installation the configure script was ran with
>with-cgi-gid =apache --with-mail-gid = mail.

and presumably with prefix=/u001/mailman and maybe other arguments too.

So to recap, it seems that running

   python /u001/mailman/scripts/post mailman </dev/null

actually posts a null message to the Mailman list, but that running

  sudo -u mail /u001/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman </dev/null

fails and logs a "Jun 06 14:30:02 2008 post(916): post script, list not
found: mailman" error.

This is a bit puzzling unless the latter command also issued the "post
script, list not found: mailman" error to the terminal. It should have
both logged the error and written it to the terminal.

So we are left as I see it with two possibilities:

1) There is something wrong with the /u001/mailman/mail/mailman
wrapper, or

2) Some other wrapper is actually being invoked.

Please refer back to
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2008-June/061950.html>
and verify that either sendmail is not using smrsh or if sendmail is
using smrsh, that the smrsh file points at the correct wrapper.