[Mailman-Users] server load..

Stefan Förster cite at incertum.net
Thu Jun 5 03:54:20 CEST 2008

This a follow-up to a quite old posting on this list. I just read
something on postfix-users and feel that it is relevant for this
question. The OP wanted to deal with a larger mail volume:

* Khalil Abbas <khillo100 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> hi mailman guys .. my question is, I have a 100,000+ subscribers
> mailing list, and hosting it with godaddy.com (Celeron 2000, 2 GBs
> RAM) .. but they only allow 100,000 emails per day for each
> dedicated server, so I have to buy a new server now, and it's a bit
> expensive..

On postfix-users, Wietse Venema and Victor Duchovni said about Postfix
scalability:

Victor Duchovni wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 02:29:35PM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:
>> Without content filtering, a 5-year old single-CPU machine could
>> do this easily.  However, 1 million messages in a day of 50 kbyte
>> each means you need 10+Mbit/s of network bandwidth.
>
> Postfix on modern hardware, and a cooperative I/O subsystem, can handle
> a million messages an hour. [...]

I hope that this will offer some insight into what modern MTAs are
capable off.

Cheers
Stefan
--