[Mailman-Users] Virtual hosts and re-using list names

Michael Kabot mkabot at soarol.com
Wed Jun 4 19:35:24 CEST 2008

Jon,

As our resident Mailman experts have stated - this is not a standard feature
of the current versions.  I don't know the release date for Version 3, but
it was being talked about 2 years ago when I first started using Mailman....

I have gotten around this in the current 2.x versions by doing two things:

1. putting some filters in place to append the sitename to the mailman
listname at the time of list creation
2. adding mail aliases for the original listname at sitename that point to the
sitename-listname@ list addresses.  I am using Qmail so that is very easy to
do.

It is a crude fix but has been working well for me for over 2 years with
hundreds of domains and thousands of mailing lists.

There is a side effect that the From/Sender/Reply-To addresses of lists look
a little weird, but I have modified Mailman to fix that as well.

If you want to go down this path, feel free to contact me off list.

Mike Kabot
mkabot at soarol.com