[Mailman-Users] selective mime 'scrubbing' (WITHOUT filtering)

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jun 3 18:13:37 CEST 2008

andReadG wrote:

> my initial question was:
>
> "custom mime precedence?"
>
> I was asking if I can let the text/html part of a
> multipart(/alternative) message pass through when
> when preceded by the text/plain part AND
> followed by something like an application/pdf
> part, but keep the pdf in the server
> (not filtered-out; kept in the archive for
> http download)
>
> The (1st) answer I got seems I was misunderstood
> (but thanks anyway Terri). I was advised to
> see the 'pass_mime_types' variable (to include
> text/html)
>
> -BUT-
>
> I have the 'scrub_nondigest' set to true, so
> (simple) filtering is of no help (nor desired;
> I don't want the pdf (or any base64 part) phased
> out, I just want it stay in the archive area
> with a link leading to it in the delivered
> mail)
>
> My first impression is that this cannot be
> done, at least with the 2.1.6 version I use.
> Is this true? Can this be solved If I upgrade
> the version?

And your impression is correct. An upgrade won't help. Scrubber will
remove all text/html parts. The closest you can come is to set

ARCHIVE_HTML_SANITIZER = 2

in mm_cfg.py. This will leave the content of text/html part in the
message, but it will be 'html escaped' and appended to the text/plain
body, so it won't really even be close to what you want.

The whole point of scrubber is to produce a flat text/plain message
because that's the only thing that pipermail can archive.