[Mailman-Users] sharing administrator passwords

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Tue Jun 3 05:59:18 CEST 2008

On May 26, 2008, at 1:59 AM, Laura Creighton wrote:

> So what people _want_ is a way to log in with a password and then have
> mailman recognise them and make it possible for them to administer all
> the lists they run.

I agree.  And I look forward to something like this in Mailman 3, but
for the time being I am going to preach:

<Rant>
Every system administrator or knowledgeable person should be trying to
persuade people to use good password management systems so that they
don't have to remember most passwords.  For Windows, I recommend
Password Safe and for OS X, I recommend 1Password.  Users of other
systems are probably already using password management systems.
pwsafe will maintain compatible databases with Password Safe.

So, I would take the current poor situation with mailman's failure to
distinguish between authorization and authentication as an opportunity
to educate people about password management systems.
</Rant>

Cheers,

-j