[Mailman-Users] How big message size>

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Mon Jul 28 17:52:52 CEST 2008

Maickel Pandie wrote:

> Hi friend, I have some question....
>
> How big usually you set message size in your mailing list server? I
> know the default is 40 KB but it's to small for user that want to
> share some file

Generally speaking, you shouldn't be sharing files by e-mail.

E-mail is not a File Transfer Protocol.  The File Transfer Protocol is the
File Transfer Protocol.  HTTP can also work for this kind of function.

But neither of these protocols are involved in e-mail.

> I'm affraid if I set message size to big it will cause some problem in
> the other day.

Yup.  That's why you want these values set to be low, because when you
multiple large attachments by hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands of
recipients, you start talking about gigatbytes and terabytes of storage
required, and gigabytes and terabytes of data that has to be transmitted to
all recipients.