[Mailman-Users] moderation rejection notices, etc.

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Fri Jul 25 20:23:31 CEST 2008

Michael Welch wrote:

> 1. Is there no capability to edit moderated messages? I have a couple of
> moderated members that have asked me to edit their messages, and I don't
> see how. (FYI, they tend to promote their own products within their
> otherwise extremely valuable posts).

There is no real capability to edit moderated messages, no.  There is what I
would classify as a work-around, described in FAQ 3.9 at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/24A9>.

If you go to the Mailman FAQ landing page at
<http://wiki.list.org/display/DOC/Frequently+Asked+Questions> and do a
search on "edit moderated", this should be the second item that shows up on
the list.

> 3. More of a comment than a question. Mailman archives do not perfectly
> allow importing Eudora mailboxes, even though they are a form of
> mbox-formatted mailboxes. Most messages seem to do fine but maybe (I am
> not sure) those few that do not import well have a blank line before
> Eudora's "From: ???@??? [date time]" header. Not sure if that is the
> cause, but it is possible.

Eudora mailboxes are not in proper 7th edition mbox format, so they cannot
be imported directly.  You need to get that "???@???" crap fixed to be
something reasonable before you can import them.

Why the hell Eudora decided to be so damn stupid as to use something that is
almost-but-not-quite a proper mbox format I will never know, but then Eudora
is dead so I guess the point is more or less moot.

> 4. Finally, I want to reiterate the desire for a web-based interface for
> responding to messages. I'd estimate that 5-10% of my list members used
> this feature when we were at Topica. I also would value a way for admins
> to remove individual messages from the archives through a web-based .
>
> I understand that work on Mailman is done by a handful of dedicated
> volunteers, and I do appreciate the software and its robustness. I
> appreciate you folks that put so much time and energy into it and into
> helping us users.

These things are on the list, and may be addressed in Mailman3.  I don't
know if we'll get a chance to look at them before then.

If you have code you can contribute to fix these issues, that would greatly
speed up things between now and whenever a future version of Mailman3 might
ship that may address them.