[Mailman-Users] using moderation - admin not on mx

Barry Finkel b19141 at anl.gov
Fri Jul 25 19:52:06 CEST 2008

Mark Heer <MHeer at lbl.gov> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am running 2 mail exchangers that handle the mailman list
>distribution and a third machine serves up the list administration web
>gui.  Trouble is that when a message is held for moderator approval, I
>click on the url mailman provides or go to the list admin page but it
>says 'There are no pending requests'.  I gahter that the message is
>being held on the mx machines as mailman expects the gui is on the mx
>right?  How can I fix this?  Can I send the message for approval to the
>admin machine, approve it, and send it back to mx somehow?
>
>Another topic, Can mailman be configured such that list administrators
>can use their LDAP passwd for authentication?  I currently secure list
>archives in such a way.

The problem with the "another topic" is this -- an administrator of
a Mailman list is ANYONE who knows the administrator password.  The
e-mail addresses of the administrators are there ONLY to provide
addresses to which to send administrator e-mail (e.g., messages
awaiting admin/moderator approval).  We have list admins here who
try to use their Active Directory password to get to their list
admin pages, and when it does not work they complain to me.
It seems to me that making the requested change would be a major change
to Mailman authentication.

About the first paragraph - I run Mailman on only one machine, so I
do not have this problem.  The web server runs on this one machine,
and the Mailman machine sends all of its outbound mail to one of our
central Mail Tranfer Agent mailers.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov