[Mailman-Users] how to address bounceback spam?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jul 21 22:14:35 CEST 2008

Ali, Saqib wrote:
> bounceback spam is becoming a problem for me.
>
> spammers use the some email random email addresses in the From/ReplyTo
> field and spam my mailman subscription address @
> fde-subscribe at www.xml-dev.com. This causes "unknown command"
> bounceback to some innocent email user who never sent any emails to
> fde-subscribe at www.xml-dev.com
>
> how can I address this problem? The IP block owner for my servers
> wants a resolution ASAP.

There was a long discussion of this on Mailman-Developers in March. See
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-developers/2008-March/thread.html>.

In short, the way to address this is to disable the -subscribe, -join,
-request, -unsubscribe, -leave and perhaps other email addresses (remove
teir aliases so they are undeliverable), and require the users to
subscribe/unsubscribe/confirm/etc. via the web.