[Mailman-Users] Authorization required with Firefox 3: Packet capture attached

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jul 21 18:34:10 CEST 2008

James Cort wrote:

> The issue concerns Firefox 3 being unable to authenticate with Mailman
> successfully as per earlier email on the subject dated 4 July 2008,
> archived at:
>
>    http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users@python.org/msg50050.html
>

> A packet capture taken from my PC is attached; it should open in
> Ethereal or Wireshark.

I've looked at the packet log. The packet of interest is number 6 which
is the POST from the log in form. It looks OK to me. The question is
whether the password being sent is actually correct. Look at the last
portion of that packet which is:

Line-based text data: application/x-www-form-urlencoded
     adminpw=zzzzzzzzzzz&admlogin=Let+me+in...

(I have elided the actual password here). Is the password correct? In
particular, is the final character preceding &admlogin=Let+me+in...
actually part of the password or is the password only the first 10
characters?

Also, see
<https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1996767&group_id=103&atid=100103>
for another report of this issue which was apparently a copy/paste
issue. Are you pasting the password into the form or typing it?