[Mailman-Users] including text in msg_header from external files

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jul 18 21:14:44 CEST 2008

Maciej Homziuk wrote:

> I have got the following problem: I would like use my own application to
> manage the headers in the e-mails that are being postet over my mailing
> list. My application saves txt file on my server and I would like
> mailman to load the content of that file and put it into the header.
>
> Is there any way to do this?

How dynamic is this content. If it doesn't change often, you could
consider wrapping it between

msg_header = """

and

"""

So the whole file looks like

msg_header = """Line 1
Line 2
etc.
"""

and then run

bin/config_list -i /path/to/file listname

to update the list.

You could also modify Mailman/Handlers/Decorate.py to read the header
from a file. To make it somewhat general, you could modify the
decorate() function to look at the template argument and if it begins
with a '/' consider it to be a path to a file containing the text. This
would then work for messages and digests and headers and footers.