[Mailman-Users] newlist auto-generate password

hone+mailman at oak.cats.ohiou.edu hone+mailman at oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Wed Jul 16 19:25:18 CEST 2008

--On Wednesday, July 16, 2008 9:49 AM -0700 Brad Knowles
<brad at shub-internet.org> wrote:

> When you create a list from the WebUI, you have the option of having
> Mailman generate the password itself, in which case it will get  included
> in the e-mail message that is sent to the listowner.

Yes, that is a really nice feature.

> The CLI interface is not going to auto-generate that e-mail message,  so
> by default it is not going to auto-generate that password either.

When I add a new list via the CLI, I must enter a password and it is sent
in the email to the list admin:

	The mailing list `cgilist' has just been created for you.
	The following is some basic information about your
	mailing list.

	Your mailing list password is:

	     XXXXXXXXX

The new list owner can change the password via the web page if that is
easier for them. It would be easier for me to not have to ask for a
password from the list admin for every list I create.

Don Hone
<http://edirectory.ohio.edu/?$search?uid=hone>
Ohio University