[Mailman-Users] Mailman not sending email to list users / Archives giving 403

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jul 16 01:38:11 CEST 2008

Tom Ray [Lists] wrote:
> I had a server crash and I needed to move two domains that are using
> mailman lists to a new server. I didn't think this was a big deal
> because they were moved from server that was taken out of production to
> the server that crashed without issue. Everything seems to be working
> just fine. They can manage their lists and add new ones but two things
> are happening now.
>
> First, the archives are giving 403 errors when you try to view them.
> Apache logs a "client denied by server configuration:" error. Here are
> the current permissions:
>
> drwxrws--x  26 root mailman 808 Jul  9 14:36 private
> drwxrwsr-x   2 root mailman 288 Jul  9 14:36 public
>
> All the subdirectories in private are set to "drwxrwsr-x" with the
> root:mailman user/group. All the html and txt files are set to 644. And
> in the .mbox dirs the .mbox file is set to 664.
>
> I'm not sure why it's pulling a 403 error. Is there something I missed?
> I ran bin/check_perms -f everything once they were moved over and it
> fixed all the permissions and ownerships.

Do you have a directory block in your apache config for the
archives/public directory something like

<Directory "/usr/local/mailman/archives/public">
     Options +FollowSymLinks
     Order allow,deny
     Allow from all
</Directory>

If that isn't it, are you running SELinux or some other security policy
manager> What's in Apache's error_log?

> Second, none of the email is being sent to the list users.

Do posts get archived?

> If a new user
> joins the list the welcome letter is sent. If a non-user tries to post
> to the list the moderators are emailed and the poster is emailed the
> "your post awaits approval" but the registered list users are not
> receiving emails.
>
> This is what I see in the maillog: 2008-07-14 16:13:20 1KIUQB-00053s-5D
> => test <test at listdomain.net> R=mailman_router T=mailman_transport
>
> I'm using Exim 4.69 with Mailman 2.1.10
>
> Exim Config:
>
> Router:
> mailman_router:
>    driver = accept
>    require_files =
> /mail/${domain}/mailman/lists/${lc::$local_part}/config.pck
>    local_part_suffix_optional
>    local_part_suffix = -bounces : -bounces+* : \
>                        -confirm+* : -join : -leave : \
>                        -owner : -request : -admin
>    transport = mailman_transport
>
> Transport:
> mailman_transport:
>    driver = pipe
>    command = /mail/${domain}/mailman/mail/mailman \
>              '${if def:local_part_suffix \
>                    {${sg{$local_part_suffix}{-(\\w+)(\\+.*)?}{\$1}}} \
>                    {post}}' \
>              $local_part
>    current_directory = /mail/${domain}/mailman
>    home_directory = /mail/${domain}/mailman
>    user = MAILMAN_USER
>    group = MAILMAN_GROUP
>

> MAILMAN_USER and MAILMAN_GROUP are mailman.
>
> Can anyone give me any insight on this please?

All of the exim stuff above has to do with mail TO Mailman. If posts are
getting queued in Mailman's 'in' queue or getting beyond that to the
list archives, all that is working.

See <http://wiki.list.org/x/A4E9>.