[Mailman-Users] Runaway python process

Andy Cravens acravens at uen.org
Mon Jul 14 18:09:26 CEST 2008

I'm running Mailman 2.1.9 on Solaris 10.  Sometime this weekend we had a
mail loop which pounded our list server.  The mail loop has been fixed
but there is a python process that is consuming an entire cpu.  Further
inspection of this process reveals:

qrunner --runner=ArchRunner:0:1 -s

I'm assuming that ArchRunner is a process that archives incoming
messages and that mailman is in the process of archiving all those
thousands of messages that were received due to the mail loop.

I've been searching the mailman site and also googling to find a way to
discard all those bogus messages.  I'm getting pressure to fix this
fast because people cannot log in to the web interface because the
server is pegged due to this process.

So, 1)  I'd like to know if I'm going down the right path assuming
mailman is busy archiving all those messages and 2)  How can I get it to
stop?

I'm going to log into the web interface even though it will forever to
get the page to come up and I will try disabling archiving fir the
affected list.  Not sure if that will stop the archiving that is already
happening or not but I'm going to give it a try.

--
Andy