[Mailman-Users] Deleting Mailman Mbox

Carlos Williams carloswill at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 17:04:01 CEST 2008

I have no idea what happened to my mailman installation. As far as I
can tell from a very basic administrative and user level, it works
perfect with my Postifx install. Only only noticed this was a problem
when I started to migrate my mailman data to a new email server I am
building to replace this old hardware.

When I go to /var/lib/mailman/archives/private - I then see the
mailman.mbox directory. This directory repeats over and over:

[root at mail mailman.mbox]# pwd
/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox/mailman.mbox

I have never seen anything like this and so far this is the only one I
have seen so far with this problem. My only solution to fix it is to
delete everything recursive from
/var/lib/mailman/archives/mailman.mbox. I don't know if this is going
to break anything or what. I notice in my other *.mbox directories,
there is always a file that ends in *.mbox.

[root at mail accounting.mbox]# ls -l
total 149408
-rwxrwxr-x  1 mailman mailman 152834117 Jul 12 13:51 accounting.mbox

As you can see above, I am in the
/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/accounting.mbox "directory" and in
that directory there is a identical named file.  My mailman.mbox
directory does not have this file in all of its repetitiveness or at
least I did not see it.

Suggestions on how to fix this problem?

--
Man your battle stations...