[Mailman-Users] Yum install of mailman on CentOS 5

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Jul 13 17:57:11 CEST 2008

Duncan Drury wrote:

>There is no access log entry after the one I posted.

That indicates that the redirect is going to a different server or at
least to a different virtual host with a with a different TransferLog.

>I've changed the
>redirect to point to
>/mailman/admin<http://www.example.com/mailman/listinfo>instead of
>/mailman/listinfo and it works.

That's strange.

>My suspicion is that for some reason listinfo is giving the wrong content
>type, so the browser is downloading the data rather than displaying it.  The
>output is mostly binary data.  I'll post it if anyone is interested.

Whatever is happening, it is Apache, not the browser that is doing it.
The

ScriptAlias /mailman/ /usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/

should tell Apache that a GET of any path that begins with /mailman/x
should execute the corresponding /usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/x CGI and
return the output of that CGI to the browser.

In your case, it is serving the content of
/usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/listinfo (or some listinfo) instead of the
output from executing it. No matter what content-type header it sends,
the wrong thing will result.