[Mailman-Users] Using MailMan To Hide Addresses

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jul 8 16:18:20 CEST 2008

Atkinson, Robert wrote:

>I have a unique problem where I need to use MailMan (or another application)
>to hide my users email addresses.
>
>Basically, I need to create a single address that a company ('Global
>Supplies') will email me on, e.g. 'community at mycompany.com'
><mailto:'community at mycompany.com'> . When the email gets to me, I need to
>check and release it. It will then be distributed to all the users on the
>'community at mycompany.com' list, BUT must still appear as if it came from the
>'Global Supplies' email address, and not mine.

This is how a Mailman list normally works, at least in part. As long as
the list is not "anonymous", the From: header in the post delivered to
the list will be that of the original post.

However, the Sender: header (and the envelope sender) would be set to
'community-bounces at mycompany.com' so automated bounce processing
works. Some MUAs, notably Microsoft Outlook, will display this
information to the user. See <http://wiki.list.org/x/RoA9>.

See <http://wiki.list.org/x/N4A9>.