[Mailman-Users] Generating list archive from a mbox file

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Thu Jul 3 07:43:21 CEST 2008

On 7/3/08, Nitin Bhadauria wrote:

>  My list administrator disable list archiving by mistake from last three
>  month and now he want them back.
>
>  As we know mailman save mails in mbox formate and from that file it
>  generate archive regularly.

Only if archiving is turned on.  If archiving is turned off, then the
mbox files are not kept, and no archives are created.

>  So i take all the mails that we want to upload on the list and save them
>  in mbox format and generate archive manually with the help of 'bin/arch'.
>
>  It dose work it generate archive of those three mount on the list there
>  are some problem in the archive mail there attachment are not working and
>  some mails lost there body and some text are unreadable.

That's normal.  When you try to take messages after they've been
munged and re-build an mbox format "raw" archive to be processed by
bin/arch, there's going to be some strange problems.  There's just no
way around that, since the original content has been forever lost.