[Mailman-Users] Mailman Auto Install

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Wed Jul 2 17:18:52 CEST 2008

Khalil Abbas wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I bought a dedicated server to host my list with .. but for my
>surprise, mailman did not exist in its control panel which is webmin
>.. in cpanel u can just click a button and it will do everything but
>not in webmin ..
>
>I tried to follow the installation instructions from the site
>(list.org) but it's like reading chineese!! I couldn't understand a thing ..
>
>is there like a script to automatically install mailman like in
>forums ? u just run a single command and it automatically extracts
>the mailman files (which I didn't know how to do that in the first
>place) and  asks you a few questions to configure mailman???
>
>please help ..

Installing mailman from source assumes that you have some
understanding of how to do a fair number of things from the command
line interface. Having said that, I think the documentation is not
too complicated and if you take your time you should be able to
follow it as long as the other pieces you need are installed (like
Apache web server) and you have root access to do certain things to
configure the system.

Some OS distributions have pre-packaged versions of mailman that can
be installed with a package manager like yum but the problem I see
with these is that they are often reorganized to place components of
the system in different places that the OS vendor thinks are
appropriate. This can make troubleshooting problems a bit more difficult.

In my opinion, I'd say that in the long run you will be better off
learning how to administer the system from the command line so you
don't have to rely on control panels. Knowing this makes it far
easier to get the system working the way you want and lets you more
effectively fix problems.

Dragon