[Mailman-Users] Python process size grows 30x in 8 hours (memory

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jul 2 17:15:17 CEST 2008

Fletcher Cocquyt wrote:

>I did a test - I disabled the SpamAssassin integration and watched the heap
>grow steadily - I do not believe its SA related:

OK.

Does your MTA limit the size of incoming messages? Can it?

At some point in the next day or so, I'm going to make a modified
scripts/post script which will queue incoming messages in qfiles/bad
and then move them to qfiles/in only if they are under a certain size.
I'm really curious to see if that will help.

>Trying to find a way to look at the contents of the heap or at least limit
>its growth.
>Or is there not a way expire & restart mailman processes analogous to the
>apache httpd process expiration (designed to mitigate this kind of resource
>growth over time)?

bin/mailmanctl could be modified to do this automatically, but
currently only does it on command (restart) or signal (SIGINT), but I
gather you're already running a cron that does a periodic restart.