[Mailman-Users] How can I check status of or abort a mailing in progress?

John Hicks johnlist at gulfbridge.net
Wed Jul 2 07:13:43 CEST 2008

I have been hosting a mailing list of 16,000 names which has been
purring along for over a year now with no problems. (I am running
Mailman 2.1.5, Postfix-2.2.10,  on RHES 4.0)

Recently I reconfigured this list to enable personalization so my client
could do a better job of processing cancellation requests from
subscribers. The processing time for a mailing (from the smtp log) went
from a few seconds per mailing to a few minutes, but nothing unreasonable.

Heady from this success, I re-reconfigured the list to enable "full
personalization". My client posted his first message using this
configuration Sunday night and it is still being processed (Tuesday
night). The smtp log is filling with entries indicating either one or
three recipients were processed. [I understand the reason for the
singletons but not the triplets.] These entries occur in batches of a
hundred or so and then pause for an hour or two.

I have no idea how far the system has gotten in processing the entire
list. Is there any way to find out? (The message already appears in the
archives but there is no entry in the Mailman "post" log.)

My client wants me to cancel the post, but I can't find any indication
of how one would go about doing that. Nothing in the "documentation,"
wiki, FAQ, and only one post on the subject on this list (but without an
answer to the question).

Any help would be appreciated.

(Also pointing me toward any general document on the overall design and
architecture of Mailman would be appreciated. The only documentation I
can find is user or list-admin oriented. Not a clue about how Mailman
actually gets its job done.)

Thanks in advance,

John Hicks