[Mailman-Users] Python process size grows 30x in 8 hours (memory

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Wed Jul 2 06:48:11 CEST 2008

On 7/1/08, Mark Sapiro wrote:

>  In any case, I know you're reluctant to just let it run, but I think if
>  you did let it run for a couple of days that the IncomingRunners
>  wouldn't get any bigger than the 310 +- MB that you're already seeing
>  after 3 hours, and the rest of the runners would remain in the 10 - 50
>  MB range.

The thing I've discovered when doing detailed memory/performance
analysis of Mailman queue runners in the past is that, by far, the
vast amount of memory that is in use is actually shared across all
the processes, so in this case you'd only take that ~310MB hit once.

Some OSes make it more clear than others that this memory is being
shared, and conversely some OSes appear to count this shared memory
as actually belonging to multiple separate processes and end up
vastly overstating the amount of real memory that is being allocated.

>  You may also be interested in the FAQ article at
>  <http://wiki.list.org/x/94A9>.

It would be interesting to have all those same commands run for the
system in question, to compare with the numbers in the FAQ.