[Mailman-Users] Mailman 2.1.11 final has been released.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jul 1 23:56:13 CEST 2008

Barry Finkel wrote:
| * Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net>:
|> I am happy to announce the final release of the Mailman 2.1.11.
|
| Ralf Hildebrandt <Ralf.Hildebrandt at charite.de> replied:
|> I get lots of these:
|> initialization differ in signedness
|> src/_koco_uhc.h:2349: warning: pointer targets in initialization
|> differ in signedness
|> src/_koco_uhc.h:2349: warning: pointer targets in initialization
|> differ in signedness
<snip>

|> Should I worry?
|
| When I build my 2.1.11 package for Ubuntu this morning I saw those
| (and others), and I did some research:
|
| -----
| src/_koco_ksc5601.h:1493:
|
|      static unsigned char *ksc5601_encode_page0[945] = { /* 0x00a1 -
0x0451 */
|      "\xa2\xae", 0, 0, "\xa2\xb4", 0, 0, "\xa1\xd7", "\xa1\xa7",
|
|      There is one message for each non-zero value (e.g., "\xa2\xae").
|
| -----
| src/_koco_uhc.h:1613:
|
|      static unsigned char *uhc_encode_page0[11170] = { /* 0xac02 -
0xd7a3 */
|        "\x81\x41", "\x81\x42", 0, "\x81\x43", "\x81\x44", 0, 0, 0,
|
|      There is one message for each non-zero value (e.g., "\xa2\xae").
| -----
| src/koco_stream.h:42: warning: pointer targets in assignment differ in
signedness
| src/koco_stream.h:43: warning: pointer targets in assignment differ in
signedness
|      srccur = s;           [unsigned char = char]
|      srcend = s + slen;    [unsigned char = char + int]
|
|      The same is true for lines 135 and 136.
| -----
| And there are similar errors in a handful of other routines.
| -----
|
| I have not yet installed my 2.1.11 package on my test machine, but
| my records show that I had the identical messages when I built my
| 2.1.9 package, which I use in production.  I am not an expert in the
| C language and what type conversions are done.  But I would not worry
| about these messages.  I do not know if the C code can be changed to
| eliminate these messages.

Probably the code or some header declaration could be changed to avoid
these. I have in the past been able to produce them by giving the
'-pedantic' option to a gcc that didn't produce them by default.

The bottom line is that some versions of gcc will produce these
warnings, but they don't affect the operation of the installed codecs.

If these Japanese and Korean codecs were sticking around, we might look
into 'fixing' this, but Mailman 3.0 will require Python 2.5 minimum, and
~ These codecs have been built-in since Python 2.4 so Mailman's
installation of them will be going away.

- --