[Mailman-Users] Efficient handling of cross-posting

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jan 28 23:16:46 CET 2008

Mikhail T. wrote:

>Yes, of course. But a single mailman installation hosting multiple mailing
>lists already has the complete knowledge, does not it?

See my reply to Brad's reply.

<snip>
>I think, this function is already here. When I first sent message to this
>list, it bounced, because I was not a subscriber. The bounce suggested, that
>I subscribe ALL of my addresses and mark some of them as "NOMAIL". This would
>seem to indicate, that multiple addresses-per-person feature is already
>established.

This is not true 'multiple addresses per person'. This is just a bunch
of addresses, some of which don't receive list mail. Mailman currently
has no way to know which if any of these addresses belong to the same
user.

The concept to be implemented in Mailman 3.0 is a separate user
database which has an entry per person with perhaps multiple email
addresses and various roles such as member of list1, owner of list2
and moderator of list3

<snip>
>AFAIU, the message will appear in the search results multiple times -- once
>per mailing list. That is not justified -- the results should contain no
>repetitions...

For as many people who feel as you do, I'll wager that there are many
more who feel it is absolutely wrong to not archive a post to lista in
lista's archive just because it also was possibly archived in listb's
archive.