[Mailman-Users] Efficient handling of cross-posting

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Mon Jan 28 20:15:04 CET 2008

On 1/28/08, Mikhail T. wrote:

>  Can our mailman installation be tweaked to eliminate all or some of the above
>  undesirable effects? Thanks,

Not without source-code level modifications, no.

The elimination of duplicates being sent to individuals is something
that might be implemented in a future version of Mailman, but that
would require that each list have complete knowledge of who all the
overlapping subscribers are for all the other lists that are known
recipients of the message.  And that would still break down if the
sender created one message and sent it to one list, then took the
same message and sent it separately to another list, etc....

Moreover, the list can't know that fredjbloggs at example.com is the
same person as fred at example.net on another list, although future
versions of Mailman will allow people the option of registering
multiple different e-mail addresses that are all associated with the
same identity, so if they choose to make use of that function, you
would at least have a better chance.

Either way, I wouldn't look for these features to arrive before the
mythical Mailman3 that we occasionally hear about.

OTOH, I'm not sure that this is something that should ever be the
responsibility of the mailing list software.  The complete
suppression of duplicates is something that can only be done
conclusively by the receiver, and not the sender.

As for the rest, the message was sent to multiple lists, and
therefore it should definitely show up in multiple archives.  I don't
think that you're going to find any way around that one.