[Mailman-Users] Promotion

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jan 24 18:41:42 CET 2008

Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 2008/1/24, Khalil Abbas <khillo100 at hotmail.com>:
>>
>> Hello mailman guys..
>>
>> ok, I have a dedicated server .. and I use mailman to send a daily newsletter.. I recenly got a list of 1,000,000 email addresses that I want to use to promote my website and mailing list .. can I create another mailman installation and add these addresses to it and use it to send an invitation to visit my website and join my mailing list without the risk of getting blocked by hotmail or yahoo or others because these emails I bought will have many faulty ones and will generate excessive bounces..
>>
>> is mailman programmed in a way to avoid getting blocked by hotmail and others?? or do u think it's better to buy another server and use it for promotion?
>
> I may sound harsh but you cannot just get a list of 1,000,000 just
> like that. I do not think Mailman creators wanted their product to be
> used as a tool for spammers. Unless, these people have volunteered to
> be sent offers.
>
> I am not suggesting any solution because I am very much against such practices.

It is not harsh.

Unless you know for certain that every address on that list belongs to
someone who has asked to receive a class of mail which clearly includes
your intended mailing (something which is almost certainly not true
regardless of any assurances from the seller of the list), you are
spamming that list.

If 1% or 10,000 of those addresses are for example hotmail addresses,
whatever portion of those are invalid, I think hotmail should blacklist
you for sending a bulk mailing to 10,000 hotmail addresses.