[Mailman-Users] Promotion

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Thu Jan 24 17:54:36 CET 2008

In a flurry of recycled electrons, Khalil Abbas wrote:

> ok, I have a dedicated server .. and I use mailman to send a daily
>newsletter.. I recenly got a list of 1,000,000 email addresses that I
>want to use to promote my website and mailing list ..

Not what you want to hear, but -even-if- 100% of those addresses are
legitimately collected, opt-in, want to see your product addresses, it's
still almost certain that you'll be immediately tagged as a spammer.
Given what I've seen of email address lists offered, most of the
entries are complete junk.

> is mailman programmed in a way to avoid getting blocked by hotmail
> and others?? or do u think it's better to buy another server and use
> it for promotion?

All mailman does is send email.  There isn't much that the software can
do to prevent hotmail/etc from blocking your mail.  There are things that
you can do, like whitelisting, but you need to research those on the
postmaster web sites for said providers.

Oh, and it's quite possible that your ISP could bounce you as a
customer for violating their spamming policy.

z!