[Mailman-Users] translate strings, not whole templates

jidanni at jidanni.org jidanni at jidanni.org
Sat Jan 19 07:51:42 CET 2008

What you currently have now is each translator not only responsible
for translating message strings -- but also faithfully reproducing the
whole HTML structure of the English version -- intact.

E.g., we run a random template through a HTML validator and see
end tag for "TABLE" omitted, but its declaration does not permit this
start tag was here
end tag for "CENTER" omitted, but its declaration does not permit this
start tag was here
end tag for element "CENTER" which is not open
end tag for element "TD" which is not open
end tag for element "TR" which is not open
end tag for element "TABLE" which is not open

Which means it is just lucky if the page displays as you intend it.

Also we see there even is the bin/transcheck command, to measure
aspects of the seriousness of the problem.

So I would advise before calling for help translating, first relieve
each translator from the task of keeping the HTML house of cards
intact. Don't require them also to be a HTML expert. Just use one
English template, and substitute strings into that.
Site customization of any page of course would still be possible.

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=1861600&group_id=103&atid=100103