[Mailman-Users] Question about bounce_info_stale_after

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jan 15 13:56:31 CET 2008

Barry Finkel wrote:

> I see in the report entries such as
>
>      ---------------------------
>      <bounce info for member user at example.com
> 	     current score: 1.0
> 	     last bounce date: (2007, 10, 3)
> 	     email notices left: 3
> 	     last notice date: (1970, 1, 1)
> 	     confirmation cookie: None
> 	     >
>      ---------------------------
>
> Why is there still bounce information for this subscriber?
> The list for which this information is extracted has
>
>      bounce_info_stale_after = 7
>
> so, I would have expected this bounce information to have been deleted
> October 10 or 11.  I see this entry in today's report and all the
> daily reports back to its first appearance October 03.

Stale bounce info is not actually deleted until another bounce is
received. Normally, this is not a problem as when the new bounce is
received, the old info is stale and the score is reset to 1.0 for the
new bounce.

Prior to Mailman 2.1.10, there is a problem in cron/disabled in that if
the threshold for a list is reduced to a value less than a current stale
score, the staleness isn't detected and the member is disabled.

In 2.1.10 cron/disabled is fixed and will actually delete stale bounce info.