[Mailman-Users] Mail Processing Problem?

Dennis Putnam dap1 at bellsouth.net
Sun Jan 13 02:25:47 CET 2008

At 05:58 PM 1/12/2008, you wrote:

>Well, if the hostname really was home.bellsouth.net, that would map
>to IP address 216.77.188.41, but the reverse DNS for this IP address
>points back to dsl.bellsouth.net, which does map correctly back to
>the same IP address.  So, I would not be surprised to see
>"home.bellsouth.net" changed to "dsl.bellsouth.net" in your outgoing mail.

As I said later, that is a special name set up by the ISP for just
this type situation.

>Certainly, the name dap002.bellsouth.net does not exist in the DNS.
>If this is what your system is trying to use to identify itself to
>the outside world, that would be a problem.

Only mailman is trying to use that name.

>I suspect that the problem you're having may be a hostname or MTA
>misconfiguration issue, which Mailman is not involved in, and which
>cannot be fixed within Mailman.

If that we the case, why is it only mailman sending mail that is
effected? As I demonstrated, when using the 'mail' command, everything is fine.

>Try typing the command "hostname" at the command-line prompt on the
>machine.  Also check your MTA configuration to make sure that this
>is not being over-ridden.

There is no MTA setting that would effect mailman and nothing else
that I can find? Any suggestions?

>If you made these changes after the list was created, then they will
>not be reflected in the list configuration.  I think that running
>"fix_url" will do that for you, but you'll have to check the FAQ
>Wizard or the archives of the list to be sure.

Keep in mind this was a working system that started giving me trouble
after a restore.