[Mailman-Users] Some detail questions about migrating lists

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Thu Jan 10 19:19:12 CET 2008

Hi all,

I need to migrate lists from an *old* Slackware system running MM 2.0
(0x200000f0) to a new system where MM is installed via RPM (2.1.9).

I've read the posts linked to by the FAQ, and the basic procedure is to
copy the data, lists, and archives directories and run withlist
fix_url.  But I have a couple of minor questions:

According to the UPGRADE document, file formats have changed as have
actual files (some new, some gone).  What triggers the 2.1 version to do
the necessary conversions ?  Is it just finding files of the old version
and recognizing them as such ?  Does the last_mailman_version in the
data directory trigger this ?

There are various minor concerns, such as file permissions, aliases,
redoing public archive symlinks, and so forth.  This made me wonder if
it would be easier/possible to run bin/newlist for each existing 2.0
list in the 2.1.9 system, and *then* bring over the data, lists, and
archives/private directories.  Advisable ?

TIA