[Mailman-Users] Mail Processing Problem?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jan 9 04:36:56 CET 2008

Dennis Putnam wrote:

>Since I don't know what is supposed to happen during processing I
>guess all I can do is guess. When I send a request to one on my lists
>(<list name>-request) the smtp log shows an error. The request gets
>processed at least is it piped tp the mailman request command, and
>then seems to get sent to <list name.-bounces>. The problem is that it
>tries to send it via hostname.domain.com which my SMTP server tries to
>send to my ISPs mail host. The mail is summarily rejected. I THINK it
>should be going to <list name>-bounces at localhost instead. In any case
>what is supposed to be happening here and why it is trying to send it
>to bounces? Thanks.

One thing you can try is to create a new test list and see if that
works. Then at least, you will have a better idea if there is some
issue with mailman or if it has specifically to do with the restored
lists.

That said, here's what's supposeed to happen when you mail
listname-request.

The mail is piped to "|/path/to/mailman/mail/mailman request listname".

It is processed by the scripts/request script and the results are sent
to the From: address of the original mail with the subject "The
results of your email commands". This message is sent from and with
envelope from listname-bounces at ...

That message is either delivered to the original sender (you) or it
bounces in which case the bounce is sent to the listname-bounces
address. The domain in the from/sender of the reply is the host_name
attribute of the list which should not be 'localhost'