[Mailman-Users] Restoring Lists

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jan 9 02:33:36 CET 2008

Dennis Putnam wrote:

>At 08:17 PM 1/7/2008, you wrote:
>
>This is a group mismatch error and will prevent any mail from reaching
>Mailman. See
><http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.016.htp>
>.
>
>I'm guessing that this is Postfix. I would say, if that is the case,
>make the owner of Mailman's aliases* files 'mail' to fix this, but I'm
>confused as to what in particular the definitions of MAILMAN_USER and
>MAILMAN_GROUP are (in Defaults.py/mm_cfg.py).
>
>It is in Defaluts.py and I see an uh,oh.
>
>MAILMAN_USER='mail'
>MAILMAN_GROUP='mail'

Not necessarily. It's probably OK for the Maliman user:group to be
mail:mail. The only problem is if this gives too much access to other
processes running as user or group 'mail'.

>What happens if you run bin/check_perms?
>
>Lots of uh, ohs here:

<snip>

>Re-run as mail (or root) with -f flag to fix
>
>I did the check_perms -f and that seemed to fix it. Nice command. I
>wish I had been able to find it in the docs without knowing about it
>first.
>
>Thanks. I owe you an adult beverage of your choice.
>
>However, I am still concerned with the ownership issue. Should I
>change it in mm_cfg.py to MAILMAN_USER='mailman' since that is what
>the ownership is set to? I am wondering if this is really working
>fully since I have not tested every nuance.

With the exception of /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.db (for Postfix),
the owner of files im Mailman's tree is immaterial. They are most
often owned by root as root is normally the user that installs them.
Everything in Mailman is based on group. All directories and all
wrappers should be SETGID and group = MAILMAN_GROUP. check_perms
should have taken care of that.

Also, files like logs need to be group writable which check_perms
doesn't check (a bug that will be fixed).