[Mailman-Users] Restoring Lists

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jan 8 02:17:58 CET 2008

Dennis Putnam wrote:

>I just discovered something that may or may not be useful. Just for
>grins I tried sending a request to the request mail box. I saw some
>errors in the syslog but the main one is that there is a group error.
>The mailman wrapper expected to be run as group 'mail' but ran as
>group 'mailman' instead. This sounds like and ownership issue now.
>Everything is owned by 'mailman; and has group 'mail'. The mailman
>user is a member of both groups with 'mailman' as the primary.

This is a group mismatch error and will prevent any mail from reaching
Mailman. See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.016.htp>.

I'm guessing that this is Postfix. I would say, if that is the case, to
make the owner of Mailman's aliases* files 'mail' to fix this, but I'm
confused as to what in particular the definitions of MAILMAN_USER and
MAILMAN_GROUP are (in Defaults.py/mm_cfg.py).

What happens if you run bin/check_perms?