[Mailman-Users] Restoring Lists

Dennis Putnam dap1 at bellsouth.net
Tue Jan 8 01:37:04 CET 2008

Thanks again. Please see the embedded responses.

At 07:10 PM 1/7/2008, you wrote:

What does Mailman's bin/list_lists show?

It shows my lists correctly.

What exactly is in mm_cfg.py and Defaults.py for VAR_PREFIX and
LIST_DATA_DIR. Note that if LIST_DATA_DIR is defined in Defaults.py as
os.path.join(VAR_PREFIX, 'lists'), redefining VAR_PREFIX in mm_cfg.py
will not change the location of LIST_DATA_DIR unless it is also
redefined in mm_cfg.py subsequent to the redefinition of VAR_PREFIX.

None are overridden in mm_cfg.py.

VAR_PREFIX = "/var/lib/mailman"

What happens if you do

[root at sbh16 mailman]# bin/withlist -i
No list name supplied.
Python 2.4.3 (#1, Mar 14 2007, 18:51:08)
(InteractiveConsole)
 >>> from Mailman import mm_cfg
 >>> mm_cfg.LIST_DATA_DIR
'/usr/local/mailman/lists'

It shows my correct path "/var/lib/mailman/lists"

[root at sbh16 mailman]#

(the >>> lines are where you enter things. A control-D is entered on
the last line to quit)

Then do

ls -l /usr/local/mailman/lists

or whatever the output from the above was.

- --

It shows my mailing lists. I guess the implication is that something
else is wrong. Maybe some sub-process of mailman is not running?