[Mailman-Users] Hint: mmdsr.sh and Mac OS X Leopard

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jan 3 20:42:18 CET 2008

Steve Burling wrote:

>Over the holiday, I took the opportunity to do a long-overdue hardware and
>OS upgrade of my home Mailman server.  I'd been running Mac OS X 10.3.9
>(!), and moved to a slightly-less-antique box running Mac OS X 10.5.1.
>
>Mostly, everything went smoothly, but there were a few minor gotchas.  One
>was with mmdsr.sh, and I thought I might save some others the headache of
>figuring this out.  I was getting errors from the 'sort' invocation in the
>line that produces the "Hourly Summary of Posts":
>
>$SED -e 's/^[A-Z][a-z][a-z] *[0-9]* //' -e 's/:.*$//' $TMPLOG | $UNIQ -c |
>$SORT -n +1 | $AWK '{ printf( "%8d  %02d:00-%02d:59\n", $1, $2, $2 ) }' >>
>$TMP
>
>It turns out that according to:
>
><http://developer.apple.com/releasenotes/Darwin/RN-Unix03Conformance/index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40004772-DontLinkElementID_5>
>
>'sort' no longer supports the form 'sort +POS1 -POS2', instead needint the
>form 'sort -k POS1,POS2'.  Of course, In that form POS1 and POS2 are
>1-based rather than 0-based.  So the 'sort' part of mmdsr.sh line above
>becomes, instead,
>
>$SORT -n -k 2
>
>Hope this saves someone some head scratching...

Thanks for the report.

I observed the same problem when I moved my lists from an FC2 box to a
CentOS 5 box, but neglected to report it.

I have now added mmdsr version 0.0.17 to
<https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=300103&aid=1123383&group_id=103>
which fixes this and also includes a change to process rotated logs.
This version will be distributed with Mailman 2.1.10.